On a sunny day down town a few short years ago (ok, so they were regular-length years) I bought this T-shirt, which I still really love to this day. It's impossible not to love it, it has a little kitty-cat wearing a tiara on it.
(it is a fact that adorable kitten is adorable)
There's one problem with this shirt now:
As I'm not desperately seeking a date to a high school dance, I think it's a little tight...
My first thought was to cut the kitten off and sew it on a new shirt, but then I thought about all that wasted fabric, and so I decided I'd just make the shirt a little bigger. I thought I could take the sleeves off and put some panels of fabric in the sides.
I proceeded to look through my fabric boxes, but I couldn't find anything large enough that was the right colour and cotton or similar to cotton.
Then I thought to go through my old clothes. I have two bags of clothes that I thought needed minor repairs before heading to the op shop. In the first bag, I found this skirt.
It's a children's size 14, which means it's designed to be about ankle length on a twelve-year-old. I always loved that skirt, and it's the same shade of blue as my kitten shirt, so here's my chance to preserve both! I'll make my kitten T-Shirt into a dress!
I was a bit nervous, as I'm good at using things for other purposes, but I wouldn't say I sew.
This skirt is a dress.
This wheelbarrow is a baby's cradle, also it is full of plants.
I also have a tablecloth poncho, a milkshake glass vase and shot glass candle holders, among other things...
But the last thing I sewed was this button:
Which looks great until you turn it over:
And I would be hand-sewing this dress, as I don't have a machine (and don't really like them).
But I set forth! First, I cut the hem off the shirt, for easy unpicking. I kept the hem, because you never know when you'll need bits in art and craft.
Next I prepared the shirt by unpicking the side seams and unpicking the sleeves:
Next I put the shirt on to work out how much of the skirt fabric I would need for the panels.
I hemmed the tops of my panels (which will make the bottoms of my armholes. The rest of the armhole doesn't need to be hemmed, as the fabric doesn't fray) and pinned them to one side of the shirt, "faces" together.
I pinned and sewed the front of the skirt first, rather than just go all the way around, as the skirt has two pockets on the front, and I wanted to keep them on the front, you see.
(front of the skirt sewn to front of the shirt. About to sew the rest)
Next to hem the skirt. I ironed it out as flat as possible and put a little chalk mark at the edge in line with the shortest part of my jagged cut.
I cut the bottom more evenly and turned the dress inside out over the ironing board. I ironed and pinned the hem as per usual, and then proceeded to sew all the way around it.
And here's the finished dress!
Lots of love to you,
PS- I fixed up that button, too. It now has a lovely back. :-)