Monday 29 September 2014

Bugs Are Being Mean To Me

So this is happening to my poor innocent little carrot plants:
 
I'm most upset about it, so I thought I'd make a garlic bug repellent spray based on this recipe here and a recipe I was given via Twitter (which unfortunately I forget who gave it to me, but thank you!) which used grated dish soap.
I used this spray bottle:

Minced garlic out a jar:

Normal cheap cooking oil:

And dishwashing liquid:

I filled the bottom of a small saucepan with oil (about 4mm deep) and put in a big heaped tablespoon of garlic:

Meanwhile, before I turned the heat on, I put the kettle on to boil. I turned the stove on and gave the garlic a good stir to evenly disperse it. When it just started to fry, I got the now boiled kettle - how good is my timing? so good! - and filled the saucepan to about 1/3 with boiling water:

I let it bubble until everything smelled of garlic, even my hopes and dreams, then I pulled it off the stove.
I put about this much dishwashing liquid in the bottom of the spray bottle:

Then filled it to about 1/3 with cold tap water. I stuck a funnel in, lined with paper towel to catch the garlic bits, and poured the contents of the saucepan in:
It dripped through slowly and it was quite content doing that. Look at it's smug little face, being all content:

And I, being me, got impatient and balled up the paper towel and gave it a squeeze to help it along and the paper towel burst and now I have some garlic bits in it anyhow, but not nearly as many as I would have.
I went outside and sprayed my carrots liberally.  I'll have to do that again every time I water them and every time it rains.  I'll let you know how they go.

Garlickly yours,
Cassandra Louise.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with this concoction. Past few years, our carrots have suffered mightily. I shall follow your progress with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be fighting back! New leaves are sprouting, so I'm going to cut off the bare stalks. Update soon! :-)

      Delete